Monday, September 7, 2009

Wild One




Yesterday Dave was sick so we just hung around the house and watched movies. One of the movies we watched was "Into the Wild" (movie website: http://www.intothewild.com/). This movie is written from a book that follows the journey of a college student looking for adventure and working out issues he had regarding his parents. (You can read the synopsis at the above website)
Watching this movie I was struck by the bravery of this kid. I kept thinking what if you get hurt or what if you get sick. But I also thought about how we view life in one way and rarely do we get to view it differently through different lenses or at different angles. I'm pretty black and white. One of the biggest difficulties I have in life is to see it differently.
This movie has challenged the way I see life and the way I live it. Here are some things I learned:
  • Share your life - It may be easier to just to be alone without the complications other people bring, but sharing your life with your family in friends makes this very hard and difficult life more livable. It is better to love others than to be alone!
  • Possessions are temporary - We put a lot of our worth and security in the things of this world. Being free to give our "things" away or get rid of the clutter makes us freer.
  • God in nature - It says in the Bible that we can be still and know that He is God and also that we can know He is God through his creation. Take time to appreciate nature, to be quiet and to be still.

I always admired those who were able to shed the trappings of this world. To rid themselves of possessions and to live a simple life. I desire that kind of life. I'm praying to simplify things and to see our life and raising our kids in a different way.

A friend of ours Bill Holston wrote a great commentary on simple living:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kera/news.newsmain/article/0/0/1538320/North.Texas/Commentary.Simple.Gifts

Check it out, it is very moving and inspiring as well.

Simply Yours,

Vanessa


No comments:

Post a Comment